What is an Email Client?
An email client is a program that is designed for users to manage and access their email accounts. Email clients are often times a desktop application that allows for users to send, receive, manage, and compose electronic mail. In addition to a desktop interface, these programs may also have a web application that will act on behalf of the main email client, in which email can be accessed and managed from any online portal. As email remains to be one of the best methods of communications for businesses, various email clients offer additional services not limited to the standard abilities of sending, receiving and composing email.
Types of Email Service Providers
There are two types of methods of accessing and receiving email. The first is an email client which operates on a PC desktop. The second is a webmail application that is still connected to the email service provider but can only be accessed through a browser. The main advantage that a webmail application has over an email client is the ability to gain access and operation of the email account from any online web portal. With the shift in technology of email becoming increasingly accessible through mobile smartphones and devices, this version of accessing email is more appealing. When using email clients, and operating from a desktop, the large advantage comes from the ability to have messages and attachments downloaded onto the computer and accessed without an internet connection. This advantage eliminates an additional need to go through the downloading process yet again as what often occurs with webmail applications.
Benefits of Using Email Clients
- Organize Email: One of the most appealing features that various email clients have is a system that assists to organize email messaging. Email being the optimal form of business communication also means receiving promoted content that continues to bombard users. Having the ability to prioritize email addresses and content provides ultimate control for the recipient.
- Email Clients Are Faster Than Webmail: An additional benefit that desktop email clients have over webmail applications is the ability to load and operate faster than a webmail application. In addition, if a server is down for a webmail application, a desktop email client may be able to still operate saving time and efficiency.
- Increased Security: For an email client not operating on a webmail application, this could mean an increased sense of security for potential malicious intent or risk. Operating on a webmail server can allow for potential malicious activity to occur whereas with a desktop email client that risk is minimized.
- Email Messages Stored On Computer: An additional benefit for email clients is the ability to have messages downloaded and stored on the desktop computer. The advantage of this is that the user can still operate and go through emails without having internet access.
- No Login Needed: A small yet impactful advantage when operating an email client is the simple act of not needing to login every time a user needs to access their email.